|To celebrate Computer Science Education Week (CSEdWeek), TECH CORPS and Hyland have teamed up to develop a fun, interactive computer science lesson for all classrooms!|
We’re looking for elementary, middle and high school teachers to participate by leading a lesson in your classroom. Through easy-to-use programming tools, students will create a story about a day in the life of a computer scientist.
“The Sound of CS” lessons will take students 40-80 minutes to complete. Anyone can teach the lessons – no computer science background is required. Teachers also have the opportunity to connect virtually with a Hyland employee to hear about their career path and why computer science is so cool!
What you’ll be teaching:
Elementary school: Using the learn-to-code program, Kano World, students will program a speaker to narrate a story about a day in the life of a computer scientist.
Middle school: Using the learn-to-code program, Kano World, students will program a speaker to narrate a choose-your-own-adventure style story about a day in the life of a computer scientist. Students will need to think critically about each path of the story to ensure their readers do not get stuck in an unexpected ending.
High school option 1: Using the open source tool, Twine, students will develop a choose-your-own-adventure style story about a computer scientist. Students will need to think critically about each path of the story to ensure their readers do not get stuck in an unexpected ending.
High school option 2: Students will learn the basics of Python programming by creating artwork with Turtle Graphics. Please note: this lesson is recommended for teachers who have some familiarity with coding.
What do teachers need to commit to doing?
– Implement “The Sound of CS” lesson with up to 100 students sometime during CSEdWeek (December 9-15, 2019). You can implement the lesson in less than an hour, before or after school. No CS experience is needed to implement the lesson.
– Snap a few pictures of your students implementing the lesson and send them to us or Post/Tweet pictures of your students implementing the lessons and tag us #TECHCORPS #CSEdWeek
What you’ll receive for participating
– “The Sound of CS” lesson plan
– Swag for teachers and students, shipped directly to your school
– A chance to win educational supplies for your classroom/school (valued at $1,000!)
To sign up, complete this form: http://bit.ly/CSedWeek19
The deadline to signup is Friday, November 1, but swag is limited, so don’t delay – REGISTER TODAY!
Thank you for joining us in celebrating #CSEdWeek!
Lisa M. Chambers
#CSEdWeek (December 9-15, 2019) is an annual event designed to inspire students and raise awareness of the importance of K–12 Computer Science (CS) education.
|Copyright © 2019 TECH CORPS, All rights reserved.|